Monday, April 13, 2015

Kidney Health...Be Pro-Active.

As a person who has dealt with the ups and downs of kidney health (and lack thereof) for all of my adult life, one thing I can say for sure is this: a simple yearly blood test will reveal in a distinct outline the state of your renal fitness.

Stay ahead with annual check-ups.


If I had only realized this as a teenager, I'm sure now, in retrospect, that my life would have been much less traumatic. I had the typical mindset of invincibility as a young man, thinking that my health picture was AOK, even as I suffered the long, slow decline that ultimately landed me in the ER at Sunnybrooke Medical Center in Toronto with End Stage Renal Failure. If "End Stage" sounds ominous, it's because it is! At the time, I was informed in no uncertain terms that I was a "walking toxic waste dump", and further, the admitting doctors had no Earthly idea how I'd even managed to make it into the ER under my own locomotion.

Your annual physical will include very revealing blood tests.

If I'd had the presence of mind to monitor my health with even a single yearly blood test, I could have had treatment options made available to me well before I nearly perished. So, my best advice to you is to take that simple step...get your butt into your GP's office at least on an annual basis for a check-up including blood-work. Sometimes ignorance is NOT bliss.





Michael R. Gaudet was diagnosed with end-stage renal failure only fourteen years after his father, Robert, died of kidney disease in Michael’s childhood. After his initial diagnosis, Michael was determined to achieve a measure of immortality. 

He designed and painted the seminal mural "Recovery 1", which he donated to the Toronto hospital that saved his life. This singular act cast the mold for the rest of his life, in which he battled chronic kidney disease and forged a career as one of Canada’s best-known mural painters. 

Michael has since designed and painted over 60 large murals across Canada. Today, he lives with his wife Sharon in the resort village of Manitou Beach in central Saskatchewan, where they own and operate a seasonal art gallery called “G-G’s Gallery & Gifts.” 

Michael is in the final stages of releasing Book 1 of the trilogy "Dancing with Rejection: A Beginner's Guide to Immortality". Please steer your search engine here to visit the Facebook page that was created to usher in the launch. Curious? Could this be the book for you? Come on over, we'll see you there.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much more recipients have to go through as opposed to donors. So many people, especially recipients, freely use the words heroes and angels referring to their donor and/or donors in general There should also be a word or words complimenting recipients for the trials and tribulations they have to go through! psu68 is the Google name for Jeff States.

    ReplyDelete